Today we visited the Henry Borden hydroelectric plant.
The complex was installed by General Electric in the year of 1926 with another
unit added in the year of 1950. The hydroelectric plant lies in the foothills
of the Serra do Mar mountain range in Cubatão, São Paulo. It was once the
largest energy plant in South America, which was built in order to meet São
Paulo’s rising demand for electricity. Valleys close to the project were
flooded, and water flow was reversed to produce energy, becoming a very successful
but also controversial project.
While we walked from external part of the plant to the underground
facilities I couldn’t help but think, the damages the development of this
hydroelectric plant must have created back in the time were taking care of the
environment was not a priority. Industrialization in Brazil started taking
place in the 1960’s and 1970’s, were many industrial complexes were built in
the city of Cubatão. This surge in
industrialization created extreme air and water pollution, creating birth
defects and respiratory problems among Cubatão
habitants. In the year of 1980, 80 out of 1000 babies born in Cubatão, were either stillborn or died within the
first week of life (Beal, Brazil Under Construction). By that time, Cubatão
had the reputation of the most polluted city in the world. This hydropower
plant was crucial to the development and future of Cubatão, which is why it
expanded and acquired great importance throughout the years. However, because
the environmental issues were not a concern, measures were not taken to protect
the environment as well as the life and health of people creating negative
externalities.
Externalities are a form of market failure, which means
that the market is incapable of reaching an efficient equilibrium” (Santos, Behrendt, Maconi, Shirvani and Teytelboym, 2010:3). The graphs below, illustrate the
problem of this inefficient equilibrium, were the producer does not bear the
full cost of production, and it is instead imposed on society.
As seen in the graph, a negative externality occurs when marginal social
cost is higher than marginal private cost. Meaning that the cost to society is greater than the cost of production. In this
case the negative externality would be created because of the use and
construction of the hydroelectric plant. Negative externalities result
in a market failure and consequently create deadweight loss, which is the loss
to society, shown in purple. I assume that with
time, the Henry Borden’s plant has started taking measured for environmental
protection and improvement of the health of the environment and
community.
I have never been to a hydroelectric plant, so I was
amazed to see the size of the industry and infrastructure of Cubatão Power Plant. It
was also interesting to observe the mix and the use of not so modernized
equipment with more technological systems. I found this trip to be much more
interesting and exciting than our CPFL excursion. It was breathtaking to observe up close how energy is produced
with the use of water, I would have never thought I would be part of this experience.
I realize now how much potential Brazil’s hydroelectricity sector has.

No comments:
Post a Comment