Sunday, July 24, 2016

My Future Plans

The last time I learned information related to the different types of energy, was in high school when I was 16 years old. I never thought I would encounter the topic again because I knew I wasn’t interested in pursuing a career in the energy sector. However, throughout the course of this trip I have learned that no matter what our interests are, the use of renewable energy concerns us all.
I try to practice an earth-friendly lifestyle and mean to get involved in simple processes that contribute to environmental wellness. I avoid the use of water bottles, try to take my own cloth bags when I go grocery shopping, try to print only what is necessary, separate my trash and recycle as much as I can. However, these couple of weeks in Brazil, have made me realize that there are more impactful ways to contribute to the well being environment other than doing tiny and easy everyday techniques.
I know it is currently not possible for me to invest in technologies used in alternative energy. However, it is part of my future plan to get involved in alternative energy systems. I have been thinking of ways in which my major relates to alternative and renewable energy technologies, and there are thousands of ways in which economics can be applied to the growth and development of renewable energy.
This trip has also made me realize that one of the reasons why Brazil is in the process of becoming a developed economy and has acquired potential to powerfully compete with developed nations, is for its investment on its current energy resources. The use of alternative energy not only helps and benefits the environment, but it also has a positive relationship with economic development. I am very interested in the topic, and plan to do further research on the use of renewable energy and its technologies, to implement these ideas in places like my country, where there is a desperate need for the use of renewable energy mainly due to the fast rainforest depletion caused by oil extraction.
As said before, there are everyday techniques one can do to help the environment, however the investment in alternative energy technologies could dramatically change the well being of our planet. Which is why in the future I plan to get involved with the use of renewable energy, which is infinite. I am certain that in the future, renewable energy will become competitive, and that other sources will be fighting for market share against renewable power.
Our visits to multiple renewable energy sites as well as the Alternative Energy course allowed me to understand and comprehend the importance of energy resources and their impact on sustainability. I am looking forward to the visit of the city of Curitiba again. However, this time I will be looking at it from the perspective of sustainability and its worldwide known urban plan.







No comments:

Post a Comment