Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A remarkable and unique experience


It was wonderful how the important people we met today, made time for us to inform us about the plans that the Secretary of Energy and Mining in Sao Paulo has for the future. As João Carlos Meirelles, the Secretary of Energy for the State of São Paulo introduced himself; he said something really interesting that caught my attention. It is important for young people like us to care and be aware of the benefits the use of renewable energy brings. I have felt many times, that young people are often ignored and not taken into account. However, this was not the case, this authentic experience started with being taken to a fancy conference room containing folders, plaques with our name and cold water. It was an honor for the members of the office to consider us and answer our questions.

I have never had experiences related to the energy sector, which is why this visit allowed me to understand the importance government bodies play in the transition to alternative energy in Brazil. The presentation grasped my attention; it showed statistics and information I don’t think it can be easily found, which is why I feel lucky I was part of it. As I have learned in my previous emerging markets courses, Brazil has already started a transition towards the development of renewable energy, which was mentioned in the presentation today. However, this shift, from non- renewable sources to alternative energy, is ensured with the use of natural gas as a raw material.
Sub secretary, Antonio Celso de Abreu Jr, summarized how wind power, sugarcane production and solar energy are the highest in the winter, and hydroelectricity is the highest in the summer. He talked about the forecasts for 2020 for biomass and hydroelectricity in the state of São Paulo, and how this renewables are expected to increase to 46% and 18% respectively. Another interesting fact explained was that the largest energy potential for São Paulo lays in the conversion of sugarcane into biomass energy. Brazil is already a leader in alternative energy holding 41.2 percent in renewables as of 2015. Brazil, and São Paulo is on the process of becoming energy independent, as well as São Paulo, which predicts to expand its renewables from 58 percent on 2015 to 70 percent by 2020. By the end of the presentation I was able to further comprehend the role of the Secretary of Energy for the State of São Paulo in encouraging the development of renewable energy in the energy matrix of the State.

This educational and unique visit is an experience I will never forget, not many people have had this opportunity, for which I feel really lucky I made the most of it. Hopefully, the members in the office found our group interesting and curious, so that other Northeastern students can also receive this remarkable experience in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment